Thursday, January 21, 2010

Kale Chips!



I don't know what is going on in the culinary world, but it seems that Kale chips have sprung onto the menu everywhere!!


I first heard about this crispy delight a few months ago at a food sustainability seminar hosted at the public library. The speaker was a well informed foodie. whose true love is food sustainability. (her name escapes me but I will fill in later) She has many ideas and information to share about growing and sustaining local foods. Either by backyard gardening, buying in local co-ops, farmers markets and other food sharing programs like the fruit tree sharing project.



One secret she shared was a fantastic recipe I just made again today to go with lunch.

Crispy Kale Chips! The recipe is simple;

De-stalk kale and cut into 3 inch pieces
place on roasting pan
add Olive oil,a small amount of apple cider vinegar, and salt
bake in hot oven at 350 for ten minutes
the kale will crisp up like chips in a few minutes
serve and enjoy!

A few weeks after the lecture where I first hear of the kale chips, a mum brought Kale chips to a home learing drop in. It was on someone else's blog yesterday and then again today I heard a reference to "Baked Kale" and "Kale chips"! I guess good news travels fast.

Besides being an extremely healthy and surprisingly delicious snack it is also an incredible sustainable crop as it grows year round in B.C. _ this does not explain why I have yet to find any of locally grown variety at the major chain groceries over past few weeks.
I will check out the winter farmers market this weekend and hopefully find a local source of this super food soon!

P.S. My kids and husband love these "chips" and that's enough for me!


Photo credit: EcoQuaker

1 comment:

  1. Looks great...I liked to you on my blog!
    http://the-lifeofus.blogspot.com/2010/02/i-dont-have-recipe-today.html

    ReplyDelete