Thursday, May 13, 2010

free water


Our rain barrel is full! Well it was at least the other day when I went to water my garden! I purchased it from the city last month and hooked it up to the front drain pipe of my house. I didn't think too much about it after that. Our family went on vacation for a few weeks, I guess it has been raining a lot in those two weeks because when I returned home this week and decided to turn the taps on this barrel we had water! LOTS of water! The pressure was akin to the backyard hose!

The city of New Westminster is selling rain barrels for $75 each. A good investment when you factor in the savings from using the hose to water the garden, unlimited recycling, and no chlorine in this water to boot!

I am thrilled as I have only barely started my garden, knowing we would be out of town I selectively planted a few things and lefts most of plants in containers, dreading the cold nights or droughts that may affect them in my absence.
Thanks to my wonderful friend Jenny, and the plethora of rain, all my plants have survived! (with the exception of one small catnip plant that a neighbourhood cat likes to remove from it's container every night!)



My previous gardening experience has been limited to the rooftop gardens I have had while living down town. This is our first year in a house and the possibilities are exciting and a little overwhelming!

I have been dreaming and planning for the warm weather, and now it is here and I need to get our and plant! I read recently that gardening is the number one hobby in Canada ( they must not have asked the hockey fans) I also read that younger people are coming to gardening, but that it is a harsh reality to encounter, as we are used to an instant gratification that does not come the day the seeds are sown, but weeks and months later.

I plan to grow vegetables and flowers, I have two strawberry plants and a raspberry stalk that has already flowered! I have a bunch of herbs, and a backyard plot that is currently overrun with lemon balm and some other interesting looking "weeds" that I will examine further before planting back there.

Gardening is a lot of work and so rewarding! There is nothing like fresh vegetables from your own garden! My basil is already needing some pruning so we will be making pesto this week for sure! I am looking forward to getting into the garden and growing Kale, peas, carrots, chard, beans, peppers, onions and potatoes, it may not sound exciting, but really I can't think of anything I would rather be doing!

Now I am off to water my raspberry stick, um I bean bush!

No comments:

Post a Comment